Responsible for managing and developing relations with international news media and helping to promote the work and objectives of The Elders.
Reports to: Communications Director
Manages: Media Assistant
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement media strategies that complement the Elders’ objectives, disseminate Elders’ policy positions and help to raise the profile of the organisation;
- Manage and build relations with news media contacts internationally;
- Identify opportunities for news coverage, media interviews and op-ed placement;
- Draft, edit and supervise distribution of media releases and other materials for publication;
- In consultation and close liaison with policy staff, plan and develop public components and messages for trips and events;
- Oversee media monitoring and analysis;
- Manage media requests;
- Oversee maintenance of media contacts lists.
- In consultation and close liaison with policy staff, lead the drafting and editing of press releases and op-eds;
- Draft and edit other external and internal documents as required.
- Collaborate with Elders team colleagues, including policy and digital, to ensure consistency of communications on all platforms;
- Manage and supervise Media Assistant.
- Understanding and empathy with the mission, vision and values of The Elders;
- Experience in a similar role, preferably at senior level;
- Excellent English language writing and editing skills. Ability to deliver written materials for a variety of audiences to the highest standard;
- Experience of working with all forms of media: TV, radio, print and online;
- Excellent media contacts and knowledge of global media environment;
- Strong news sense and demonstrated knowledge of current international issues;
- Degree-level, or equivalent, qualification in international relations, communications or relevant field of study;
- Photography and basic video/news production skills desirable;
- Proficiency in French highly desirable;
- Knowledge of other language/s desirable;
- Team player, flexible and adaptable;
- Self-motivated, creative, able to take the initiative;
- Well organised, able to multi-task, work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Maturity, discretion;
- International experience and outlook with sensitivity of different cultural contexts;
- Ability to travel, as and when required.
The closing date for applications is Monday, 20th October. Please send CV and cover letter, or address any queries, to Sophie Collins, VMA at Scollins@vmagroup.com